Saturday, December 19, 2009

Shark!

So, technically Cam is not supposed to start solids til February or March. However, he appears to be bored with a breastmilk only diet. And, he's decided to broaden his culinary horizon. Food of choice? ME! A couple of times around the 6 to 8 week mark, he "bit" down on the boob that feeds him, hard! After that, he continued to do it once a week or so but this past week it's been EVERY SINGLE FEEDING! Yes, he is toof-less, but it still hurts very bad. So bad that the other day I got tears in my eyes. He won't do it the first 5 or 10 minutes of nursing but waits until he's ready to burp or swap sides. Sometimes he'll do it when I'm half asleep like the 4am feeding or his last feeding of the day. He does it at 6:30 when I should be getting up, and it works. No need for an alarm clock when a small child is trying to chew off your nipple. He bites me every time he lets go or falls asleep. And, he thinks it's funny... because unless he has dozed off he grins at me real big. And, I know he doesn't know any better but I swear he's smiling at me as if to say "LOL Mom, I know that hurts but you won't stop breastfeeding me because you know it's healthiest and you aren't going to flick my cheeks or thump my mouth like some Mommies do." Ugghh! And, he's right. I won't flick him or thump him, but I have yelled out and yep, he smiled BIG! So, I am hope, hope, hoping he stops it- soon! I am so afraid I am gonna look like one of those tribal women from National Geographic if this continues. I have developed anxiety every time I feed him and I don't think it's good for either of us to be anxious during feedings. So, any advice? I need to get this nipped in the nipple before he gets teeth... pun intended :)

2 comments:

Cheree said...

Hmmm. That is a hard one. Caedyn went through a biting period too. I did thump her once, then I cried when I saw how shocked/upset she was that I'd hurt her! Never did that again - and I don't remember if it even helped. . . I do remember when she got a bit older if she bit I just sat her down and told her that nursing session was over. I think Cam may still be a bit too young for that though. Hang in there!

Lois Brown said...

I didn't nurse so I'm no help at all! But it doesn't seem right that you should have him bitting you all the time and the stress that goes with that! I hope it gets better!