Saturday, October 3, 2009

Birth Story Part 1

So, it's only taken three whole weeks to get this done. I have been a little busy, to the point of making sure I put eating and showering on my to do list. Plus, my brain is so foggy that it hurt to think of all the birth details... I am gonna give it a try. And, be warned, other than a GORGEOUS baby it's not that exciting but it's long, just because there are lots of little details, (so many that I am gonna do it in two parts). I mean I didn't deliver him in my car and my water didn't break at Target although Jon was afraid it would.

If you recall on September 9th I had the option of an induction. Well, after lots of soul searching and prayer I decided that our baby would come when he was ready. Besides, I knew by the way my body was acting that he was gonna come that day. I had a mother's intuition and I secretly hoped he would come at 9:09 that evening so I could have the distinction of a 9-9-09 at 9:09 baby... So, that morning I got up, called the hospital to cancel the induction, got my kids off to school and went to take my every morning nap. Jon was off that day so I knew I could be lazy all the live long day. I slept from 8 til about 11. When I got up I made me some lunch and plopped my booty on the computer to eat and get in some Facebook time. I was only able to pick at my sandwich a little bit because I had an honest to goodness contraction. I kept quiet though just in case. I did get a little antsy though and I started to do my daily chores like making the beds, laundry and sweeping. I was trying to keep my mind off of the contractions that by then were coming every 15 minutes. I remember telling Jon to go ahead and pack his bag because I was positive our baby was coming some time that day. I finished my chores and made a few phone calls to my mom and sisters. At that point I knew I was in early labor but I was still in denial....

At around 1:30 I jumped in the tub so I could get ready for my 3:00 OB checkup. My contractions were still coming every 15 minutes. By the time I got out of the tub they were coming every 7 to 10 minutes. I managed to get my makeup, clothes and jewelry on while I timed the contractions. They were strong enough to get my attention but not so bad that I couldn't function. I drove to my appointment and when I was sitting in the waiting room they decided to come at 5 minute intervals and boy did they get more painful quick. I would also get an intense urge to vomit with each one so I asked the receptionist for an emesis basin. She said they didn't have any but she would find something. She came out into the waiting room carrying a red Bio-Hazard bag that was large enough for a dead body. Dumb ass... Finally I was called back to be put through the normal prenatal crap- blood pressure check, urine, etc. I told my nurse I was in early labor and she told me once again he probably wouldn't check me (I was in too much pain to argue) but would more than likely send me to the hospital. So, I sat on the table fully dressed and I waited... for 30 minutes while he was in the next room with a patient. I learned so much about birth control that day. In between timing contractions and cursing my OB under my breath, I was rubbernecking. Mainly because I was trying to listen for him to be finished with his other patient and partly because other than text my hubby and sisters and time contractions, what was I supposed to do? Finally he came in and asked me why I wasn't undressed!? I told him his nurse told me to stay clothed because he would more than likely send me to Labor and Delivery. I swear those two... Anyway his exact words were: "I wanna check you and make sure you're not a 7 or 8. I don't want you to deliver in Albertson's." Well, I knew from past experience I was maybe a 4 and besides I was planning on hitting Target on my way home not Albertson's.

Part 2 coming soon

1 comment:

Krista said...

Very cool so far!! I can't wait for the rest! I wondered why we weren't getting regular updates on facebook so I'm looking forward to hearing the hospital stuff! ;)