Saturday, October 3, 2009

A Happy List: new baby, tired mommy edition

Since I recently squeezed out a baby things are nuts around here. And, if you read my blog on a regular basis you know that and you are probably sick of reading about it. But, who cares. I have a houseful of kids and as much as I love them, they don't give me near as much blog content as Camden. Eventually I'll blog about something else... So, on that note, I am gonna do a list. A list of things that make the crying (mine and his) and utter chaos and exhaustion almost forgettable. These things make me happy and they pretty much rock!

1. Being able to sleep on my tummy. I waited months to do this again and wouldn't you know my baby will only sleep good during the day, in some one's arms, or with a tit in his mouth. Which means I rarely get to sleep on my tummy except when I nap with him during the day. And when I do, I sleep like a freaking petrified log and it feels amazing!

2. When I actually get to eat with both hands and while my food is still warm. I have been standing up to eat while nursing the babe at the same time for 3 weeks and my food is ALWAYS cold. And, it just so happens that the moment I sit down with a plate or bowl of food he wakes up. I am thinking maybe I should follow my dog's lead and forget utensils and limbs altogether!

3. Watching my older children love on and care for their baby brother. They love to hold him and kiss him. Hunter wants to hold him all the time and Chloe is proving to be a master diaper changer and baby soother. Chandler and Hayden just look at him ALOT. They love to stare at him and caress his cheeks. I seriously have to hold back the tears. I am SO in LOVE with my children.

4. A shower. I am a bath girl all the way and the exact moment he turns 6 weeks old I am taking a bath- with scalding hot water, a candy bar, an ice cold glass of something yummy, and a trashy magazine like People. And, yes I will lock the door to the bedroom and the bathroom. But, back to showers. When you have on the same pj's as the day before and you smell like eau de spit up, a shower feels like pure bliss.

5. Being allowed, no make that forced to eat 500 extra calories per day because I am nursing. Some days I get my extra calories in the form of something healthy like an apple with peanut butter and other days it's a Snickers bar. I do feel a bit guilty, a little tiny bit. But, I also know that breast milk is always uber healthy and I think that Cam secretly likes Snicker flavored milk anyway...

6. Dressing Camden in all his CUTE clothes. I bought and was given (both new and hand me down) some of the most adorable clothes for him ever. I try and change him twice a day. What? He likes it... It does bum me out a little that no one gets to see him in them but oh well, there's always pictures. He likes photo shoots at home too.

7. Staring at and touching my baby. I could do it all day long. He has this one little spot on his ear that's just one random tuft of hair and I love to poke at it. And his feet are like rose petals and his cheeks and head are like warm velvet. And I could go on and on. Babies are like a drug. I swear as much as I think Michelle Duggar has like way too many kids, I think I can figure out why. Oh man, I wanna go hold him NOW!

8. Giving him his daily bath. As soon as the nastiness that was his umbilical cord fell off I filled his baby tub with warm water and in he went. And, he LOVED it. Still does. I imagine he relates it to being in my tummy in a bag full of warm amniotic fluid. He is just so relaxed when he's in the tub you can see it in his little face. That is one area where he takes after his mommy- baths are awesome. And, he smells amazing afterwards! Goodbye curdled milk, hello Johnson and Johnson!

9. Nursing Cam. It is seriously an amazing feeling to be able to feed your baby with milk that your body makes for them especially. And to see them get fat and healthy from it is even more awesome. Having a child really is a miracle and one of the most beautiful things ever. No offense to those of you who formula feed, just because it's not something I have ever done. But really, breastfeeding your baby is such a special experience. Try it, you'll thank me later.

10. Having my whole family home with me on the weekends. We usually never cook dinner (amen to take out) and we ALWAYS have dessert. We could be watching cheesy TV while I feed the baby or someone is on the computer and someone else is reading a book. But, we are together in our cozy house just here, just being us. And it's awesome. Once again- I am so in LOVE with my family. And, I am BLESSED beyond measure.

That's it for now. Right now I am just feeling all warm and cozy. So, I am gonna go kiss all my kiddos and straighten out their covers while I smooth the hair across their foreheads. Then I am gonna wake up my baby and rub his little feet while I give him a midnight snack. After which I will kiss my hubby goodnight and then say a prayer thanking Heavenly Father for all of my wonderful amazing blessings. The end.

5 comments:

Simply Sarah *K* said...

I love that list! :)

Lois Brown said...

Great Happy list!!!! and I'm happy for you too when you get to do and have all these things as well. I will see you Wednesday to brign you dinner!!!!! love ya, Lois

Missy said...

Awww - this post got the waterworks going, girl. You know how I feel about finding all the great blessings in life. Love it.

Faintastic! said...

Aww! You've made me a lttile misty. Can't wait to see you guys Wednesday and feel on thos rose petal feet myself! Baby feet kind rock my world.

Krista said...

I love nursing too!!! It's such an amazing bonding experience! And you gotta love a bath! Love it.