Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Crazy... but true!

Today me, Jon, and Camden went to the hospital to see our friend Shawna's new baby. We snuck in past all hospital authority figures since we had a baby with us. With the flu going around lots of places like doctor's offices and hospitals are very strict on visitors. We stayed a little over an hour after which we headed out to grab lunch before we had to get Hayden. We left through the double doors that go in and out of the maternity ward, the same way we came in. Outside of maternity was a little foyer with restrooms and such and then a big waiting area past the foyer. When we were leaving we passed an older woman who was in regular business attire but she had on her hospital ID. She glanced at us, said good afternoon, and proceeded into the maternity area. Jon took the baby, my diaper bag and purse and went to the foyer while I went to wait for the restroom to be available. I hadn't been there a minute when the double maternity doors flew open and the same lady I saw before came rushing out, very frantic. She saw me standing there and proceeded to scan the hallway and foyer area like she was looking for someone. Then she saw me. That's when she started to grill me, and she was puzzled AND worried, you could see it in her face. She asked me why I was there, was I visiting someone, was that my baby, where was the baby at, how old was the baby, etc etc. I looked at her kinda odd and answered all of her questions: I was there to see a friend who just had a baby, yes the other baby was mine, he was 5 weeks old, he was with my husband in the foyer (thank goodness Jon walked into sight at that exact moment) and she was more than welcome to go look at him. I told her he was little (she said she noticed that) but was obviously not brand new. I also told her his circumcision and belly button were all healed up, which no brand new baby would have healed from already. She still looked kinda worried but as I answered her questions she seemed to calm down a bit. And after all was said and done all she said was that she thought maybe their security system that rings an alarm and shuts down every entry/exit door was on the fritz... not an apology or anything. And, while I think it's great that she was aware and doing her job it would have been nice if she had apologized or something!! It was very embarrassing as there were several other people in the foyer as well. When we were walking out I kept expecting security to tackle us or something... Seriously though, I think I'll stay home for a little while longer. Or at least I will steer clear of the maternity/newborn area of all local hospitals.

4 comments:

Krista said...

That is so crazy!! She could have at least said sorry but she was just trying to be safe! Good grief.

Cheree said...

If she were really doing her job she wouldn’t have waited a full minute to come running after you. Just my thoughts . . . But yes – once she realized you indeed were not a crazy baby snatcher, she should have apologized.

Anonymous said...

Judging by her reaction time, maybe she apologized to you after you guys left.

Lois Brown said...

That would be embarassing and I'm so sorry it happened. But I guess it is good they checked it out....but an apology was definately in order!!!!