Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Disturbia on the Prairie

I am sitting here watching Larry King Live and it's all about the FLDS sect in Eldorado, TX and the ongoing investigation. I am just dumbfounded. Larry interviewed some of the moms and while I think it's got to be so hard to have your children ripped away, I cannot understand their logic. I am all for being self sufficient and all that. I too have days where I don't wear makeup. Heck I have even wished at times I lived in the 1800's. But it just seems so weird. The women are all soft spoken yet so robotic. They took the cameras into a house where it's obvious a bunch of the moms and their kids live. I had to cringe at two things: there was a framed picture and sometimes two framed pictures of Warren Jeffs in EVERY room and then this woman opened up a closet and there were shelves full of copies of the Book of Mormon. I guess I really don't know what to say. I mean I am a practicing Mormon and know what I believe and what life I want to live. I believe the Gospel with all of my heart and always will so I can imagine that these FLDS members feel the same way, especially since most of them were born into it. But, at the same time I am a mom and can't imagine any religion wanting me to marry off my 15 year old daughter to an old geezer. I am sorry, but never would I stand for that. So, any opinions? Any one else see Larry King Live? Maybe Good Morning America? Here is the GMA clip.

6 comments:

Shannon said...

Gah! Don't you hate how now everyone assumes ALL mormons are like that? One of my biggest pet peeves...EVER!

Kelli said...

I didn't see Larry King, but I don't agree with their lifestyle, and agree that they are quite robotic. However, maybe it's because I haven't seen any interviews and don't know any facts, but I think it's far too much of a blanket act to take ALL the children away from ALL the mothers. I think some more careful investigation needs to be done into individual family dynamics, etc. I bet they'd even find that a lot of those women really want out, anyway.

Ashley said...

I read that only 6 women chose to stay away from the compound after the first "raid". Every one else returned. There is a hearing tomorrow. Supposedly they have been investigated for a while thus the raid in the first place.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

ughhh! i didnt get to see larry king live. and i have to say ive stopped hearing anything about this raid. I kinda tuned out early on because i get tired of hearing news about texas made national that allows the rest of the world roll their eyes and say, "of course, what are those crazy texans up to now?"!!! But i just watched those three women, full of conviction and emotion, soft-spoken and truly victoms. of what, im not sure. but it was disturbing. im so sorry for them. im so sorry for the morman group as a whole that only gets publicity like this kind of publicity. im not mormon, but i know how most of the world thinks these women are what the morman church creates. thats not fair. and i feel like, once again, this is another excuse to allow all of america to prove that texas is a place that breeds religious extremists and George Bush! AUGGGhHHH!

Anonymous said...

oh, and you may want to take that guy above me off your comment page. We don't need and guhns up in here! ;)