Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Pinching Pennies

Lately all you hear about is the high cost of living. And, I think almost everyone I know is feeling the crunch. I try not to worry about it too much, but when it costs $97 to fill your gas tank, it's hard not to. It really seems as if the last month things have gone haywire with the economy. How are middle class people supposed to survive? Worse yet, the ones who fall below that level? After Hayden was born we were fortunate enough for me to be able to quit my job. There were even times when we felt invincible financially. A new house and new cars within 3 months of each other, all new furniture and home decor, a pool. Then a couple of surgeries happened. That was all it took to burst our materialistic bubble. Now, with an extra $75 added to the grocery bill each week and $1000 worth of gas each month for two big vehicles, material things are seeming more like a luxury than ever. I have noticed that even places like McDonald's and Chick-Fil-A have raised their prices. Capri Sun's now cost almost 3 bucks a box. You can't even buy generic store brand stuff, it's always sold out!! I am pretty sure that we are going to trade our Suburban for something smaller, and I am going to try and ride out the summer, but I will more than likely be looking for a job come August. I am a certified pharmacy tech, which pays pretty good. That means if I get a job that I'll be adding after school care to the budget. No biggie, but I have been home with my kids the last 6 & 1/2 years. So, just curious how are y'all saving? Any ideas to cope during these crazy times?

4 comments:

Erica said...

I've had to cut my trips to GP/Aggtown to one day a week - sucks! You have all that land out there...have you thought of planting a garden? :) I found an article the other day on CNN.com about how women are cutting costs, but it sure seemed like a lot of work!

Anonymous said...

$5 footlongs at Subway and cases of top ramen

Kelli said...

We put ourselves on a serious budget, and when we get our government check, we are stocking up on serious food storage. I have a bad feeling about these high food prices and food shortages.

Ashley said...

I too have a bad feeling about stuff, scary! Government checks are coming next week!! Yay, they changed it!! As for a garden, I have considered it, can you grow granola bars, cereal, and goldfish crackers in a garden?? As for ramen and Subway: I would have to be real hungry to eat ramen noodles, and Subway is surely gonna raise their prices again soon.