Monday, May 18, 2009

A post about childbirth

So, I am sure you've heard, I'm having a baby! And, because I'm having a baby I watch lots of shows on TLC like A Baby Story, Birth Day, Bringing Home Baby, etc. I can't help it, I've watched them for years even when I'm not expecting. I guess because I find them interesting and I have always wanted to be a Labor & Delivery or NICU nurse. Anyway... here's what I find odd: there are so many women who are in active labor (legs up to the sky and they are pushing) and they don't seem to care who is watching. We're talking dad, father in law, brother etc. Now, I don't mean to be judgmental to those of you who have done this but I just wonder why? More power to ya, but I am Miss Modesty. I don't care if I am toned, taut, tan, and a size 4- ain't nobody but my husband and sometimes my mom gonna see me in that position. I mean in all honesty my husband has not seen me naked in broad daylight in YEARS, and I am not even kidding. I have had my mom, Kelli, and Amy watch me give birth and even that was uncomfortable. But, I wanted them there. My dad, never! I'd like to think he believes the stork brings my babies, not to mention how they got there...
Anyway, when I had Hayden my mother-in-law showed up right as I was about to start seriously pushing and I was on a 30 minute time table. Meaning I had 30 minutes to get him out or my OB was threatening me with a C-section. (Honestly I think he wanted to go home.) And, I love my mother-in-law to death but I didn't want to push a baby out in front of her but I really really didn't wanted to be gutted to get my baby out so I reluctantly gave it my all and Hayden was born. So, my question to y'all is: how come some people can have a baby with their dad or brother watching? Am I weird?

6 comments:

Borton Family said...

Since both of mine were C-section, I would not mine my dad, but brothers maybe not. If it was the other way around I dont think either would watch it. There is something odd about them being down south of the border.

Krista said...

No way for dads and brothers!! Ick and I don't think they would want to either. I did have my mother in law in there though but that was because she would have had a fit and a half if my mom got to be there and she didn't. I didn't care though. She helped to take pics. My sister had my dad and her father in law in there but that was because her husband is very controlling (long story) and she pretty much did whatever he wanted her to do. My poor dad just tried to hang by the tv;)

Missy said...

When I went into labor with my my first one, I seriously thought the 20+ people who showed up were going to fist fight over who got to stay. The lovely nurse kicked them all out. I wanted no moms either. I did not want to be alone though - if hubby had to step out for a moment, my best friend came in. I was almost grateful I ended up having c-sections so no one's feelings got hurt!

Simply Sarah *K* said...

Since I had Bella at home...everyone was downstairs to support me. I guess my dad had come up to check on me b/c I was being quite loud....cause I look up and there he is standing in the door way with this worried look on his face. Well, a cross between worried and "oh my gosh, thats my granddaughters head sticking out of my daughters hoo-hoo". You know, the look you would expect. But I was so deep in the misery of pushing that it didn't bother me.

For Aube...being in a hospital with all those extra strangers looking at me was more weird than being at home.

Lois Brown said...

No....you are normal, I would say they are the weird ones! I had c-sections so only my hubby was there, but even if I could have there would not have been anyone other than my husband!

Shannon said...

Yeha, I am not so much on the dads and brothers in the room. Again, I did have C sections, so i never had to deal with it, but had it been an option? NO THANK YOU! The fewer people that see my nethers in the course of my life, the better.