Wednesday, May 27, 2009

just an ordinary girl

Ok, so this is gonna be "deep" and I guess I probably sound down, but I'm not. I am just curious- what is extraordinary and is it ok just to be ordinary? And, the reason I ask is because I guess I'm too down on myself for not being Superwoman. And, alot of it stems from reading other people's blogs and looking at Facebook. I know you know what I mean. There are some people who just seem too perfect. I guess I should clarify that when I say people I mean other chicks. It's just too easy to log onto the computer in a great mood and start blog hopping or glancing at profiles of old friends on Facebook and before you know it you feel ick about yourself. There's the girl with half a dozen kids who is still a size 4 and gorgeous. Or the one who has been to every vacation spot on the planet. Then there's the crafty one who could practically fashion an entire house AND fabulous wardrobe out of scrapbook paper and glitter. Let's not forget about the one with the amazing camera who takes perfect shots of everything from leaves to her gorgeous kids. Or the rich one or the gorgeous one or the one with a perfect house who has time for everything you don't. Then there's the Rachael Ray who makes everything from scratch and it's healthy. There are times when I feel like my life would be so wonderful if I could be one of those Superchicks. But, I would never want someone to be jealous or down because of me. I have long had a problem with envy or the grass is always greener syndrome. I mean I am what I would call ordinary. I really love most aspects of my ordinary life and my (extraordinary to me) kids and my husband. I just wish I could be content with who I am and not constantly think if I was like so and so life would be perfect. I really need to locate my self esteem I guess, and getting off this hormonal roller coaster might help...

11 comments:

Missy said...

Girl, I've been thinking the same thing for a long time. I do live in the land of Martha Stewart, you know. I've got neighbors that spin & dye their own yarn for cying out loud!

Then, I remember a time when I aspired to ordinary. I can't tell you how many times your mom rescued me, scooping me up for a "play date" while walking home alone in kindergarten on my way to a house full of drunk/high teens & young adults. Back then I daydreamed about a normal, boring life!

You do your best, love your family, and you shrug off those things that keep you too busy to keep doing that. Can you think of a better life to hand over to your kids?

(Tell your mom thanks for me! I don't think I ever did.)

VirtualM said...

I've been there, too. It's the good looking people (read: skinny and fashionable) who go on fabulous vacations that really get to me for some reason. Jealous? Maybe I am. Yep. Other people always remind me that what you see online isn't real, and I know that, but it doesn't stop me from feeling like everyone has perfect lives and my life is in chaos.
Those are the days when I just have to walk away from the computer, get a big ol' Dr. Pepper, and take my kiddo out to play. I think that if we all took a step back, we'd find that 'happy' is way more important than 'extraordinary on the surface.'

Adam & Kristen Birkmeyer said...

Would you feel better if I just took my blog down so you didn't have to feel this way after reading it anymore? HAHA - kidding. Seriously though, whenever I drop in to blog-stalk you (ha), I always think to myself, wow, Ashley has the coolest kids and such a fun life. She's funny and has the coolest stories! Yeah, there are people out there who seem skinner or seem prettier or seem to vacation way more than the rest of us, but I like to tell myself that they are a)secretly insecure b)in debt up to their eyeballs and c)wish they were a little different somehow, too. May not be true, but it sure makes me feel better. :)

Erica said...

Ditto here, but I could never make it sound as good as you just did.

I agree with Kristen. When I read your blog I wish that I could be like you in many ways. For instance, can I just say that you are freakin' hilarious??? I mean laugh out loud funny. In fact, Megan just asked what I was laughing about...was reading one of your posts.

It's human nature to look at others and compare.

Since I definitely wasn't one of the ones that you mentioned, just know that I'm sitting here saying the same thing when I read those blogs.

Krista said...

Girlie...things are never how they seem!! The ones that make sure everything looks perfect are probably a mess.

Anonymous said...

I've been out of high school for 51 years, so you know who I am. I read e mails and posts all the time about the girls I went to school with. Only the real successful ones write in. They send pictures of their rv's their long trips tjeir winter and summer homes. The cheerleader bunch still hang out together, but most of them have been married several times. They think I'm strange because I have so many kids and grandkids. It bothers me but then I think about real hard and I wouldn't trade places with any one of them. I do wish I were skinny, but that's my fault. As a young girl I never thought I would be so blessed. I think you are very talented at decorating and have a good heart. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

P.S. None of them have a rat like I do.

Amazing Grace said...

Maybe one of these days we can get together ... before you have the baby! So much to catch up on.

Unknown said...

noluhbyjgfcvhjkm

Lois Brown said...

Sweetie, you are extraordinary, believe me. And if your like me its my husband and my children that make me special and that is also what I am most proud of.

It's just that most people only tell about the exciting stuff and don't tell about all the other junk that is happening at the same time. Nobodies life is that perfect. We all have trials, its just that the ones who are trying to look perfect don't tell except what they want us to know so they can keep up the appearance.

The thing that makes you extrodrinary is that you tell all and make us all jealous/happy of your sense of humour about it and how you deal with it and still come out smiling and happy! I'd rather have your real life and mine than anyone elses pretend appearance of a life

Ashley said...

I just want to say thanks for all the positive comments, insight, and opinions. I guess we are all pretty extraordinary in our own ways and need to remind ourselves often. Love all of you ladies!