Thursday, June 4, 2009

Greedy Much?

Yesterday Jon and I went to do our baby registry. I was excited simply because I got to make a wish list and Jon was excited because he got to scan stuff with the little gun. I have registered with each baby and each time I register I feel SO greedy. Like, I want this blanket and this toy, etc. Even though I know it's all in fun and it is helpful to follow a registry when you buy a gift- I just can't help but feel like a brat! And just to add to my greediness, I told Jon that since this was our LAST baby and I have nothing baby left from the other kids, I wanted to splurge. I have never had a nursery to decorate, as my kids have all shared a room with me or a sibling. But, this time I will have Chan's old room to make into a nursery and I am already planning everything from cribs to paint to toys. To say I'm excited would be putting it mildly... until I saw how much baby stuff costs!! Hello- $89 activity mats! $300 car seats! $15 bottles of baby detergent! Things have changed since I had Hayden and are light years different from 1992 when Chandler was born. Oh my goodness! It's pretty funny the products that are out there that these stores make you think have to have. Like a wipe warmer. I know a warm wipe probably feels better than a cold one, but I bet a cold wipe feels better than warm poop! Or a Diaper Genie. I thought you just threw the soiled ones away... And then there's baby monitors. I know they are convenient especially if you are far away from baby, but it is possible to live without one. I don't know about you but my babies had some seriously strong lungs. Jon and I were laughing as we were scanning those very same "non-essential essentials" mentioned above at what our mothers and grandmothers coped with. I know alot of the stuff makes things go a little smoother, but my mom used cloth diapers with 8 of 9 children and we all lived to tell the tale! I guess it's just shocking to me how spoiled we modern folks are! And although it would be really nice to get all the goodies I saw at the store, surely I can survive without them...

3 comments:

VirtualM said...

With babies, you can get very 'gently used' or practically new stuff if you're willing to put in the time. But you probably already know that. :) The stuff is fun, though. We were given a lot of stuff with Frankie and we didn't do a nursery, and this time around baby will only get hand-me-downs, but I think I'm okay with that :) Oh, and go for the Diaper Champ instead of the Genie - it doesn't make the diapers into a sausage, true, but it doesn't take any special bags - just a regular garbage bag - and we love ours and haven't had any stink problems (still use it.)

Have fun shoppin'!

Krista said...

To lower the costs, don't go to babies r us. Target has nice stuff that are half the price. Especially the baby mat thing. I would totally let you borrow mine if we lived closer;)

Erica said...

Hey girl, I'm in the expensive baby boat right now. Join me!

Ditto about the Diaper Champ (what VirtualM said). We are using the same one we used with Megan and still no stink. That thing is awesome.

Don't forget to register for diapers! :)