Saturday, June 13, 2009

Special Delivery

Every year (in late Spring/early Summer) that we have lived here a momma and daddy bird have built a nest and laid their eggs on the ceiling of my porch. The first year I would knock down their nest each day in it's early stages, but they were far too persistent for me. I finally left them alone and they had babies and pooped everywhere, then they were gone. The next couple of years my cat did the babies in, which was really sad. Last year they started a nest and never laid eggs. And, of course this year they are back. Maybe it's the hormonal side of me, but I couldn't bring myself to knock down the nest. Tonight I was sweeping the porch and putting down a new doormat when I saw the cutest thing. Three little baby birds with their beaks wide open trying to catch gnats and mosquitoes while their momma watched, cautious but undoubtedly full of pride. Anyway, being a sentimental dork- I took a picture. Then that stankin' bird swooped down and tried to peck me! But, for the sake of "art" and nature, here's a photo:

P.S. excuse my half painted porch! We are waiting for the birds to leave...

3 comments:

Simply Sarah *K* said...

That's just too cute...minus the pecking part. Birds are the most fascinating creatures in a standoffish kind of way. We have a variety around our house...they try to make a nest in my mailbox most days.

Amazing Grace said...

that is so cute... we have some living inside the chimney. I hope they leave by the time cold season comes around...

Kelli said...

yay!!! You let them stick around! Let's hope the kitty does, too.