Friday, May 9, 2008

Dumpster Diving Tooth Fairy

Hayden lost another tooth today! And, here's the kicker: he lost it three times... how you ask? Well, obviously the first time was when he pulled it out. Then he left it in the car, and we had to dig in the pockets on the back of the seats. But, the last and most "adventurous" was when he left it at On the Border. And, getting it back was no picnic. We had just left the restaurant and were already going about 65 mph down I-35 when he realized it was gone. So, I got on my phone and called information and instantly got on the phone with the "lovely" manager at Burleson OTB. I told him that we had been gone about 5 minutes and that my 6 year old son had left his tooth on the table and that it was in a ziploc bag labeled with his name. He proceeded to put me on hold forever... and by the time he got back on the phone I was already at the intersection near the restaurant. When he came back, he had the nerve to tell me that his busboy had already left and the tooth was nowhere to be found. He obviously isn't a parent and doesn't realize the urgency of the situation. I mean, Hayden pulled it himself, put it in the baggy, and labeled it with his name in permanent marker. At this point I am pretty annoyed. I told the guy that I would be in the restaurant within 3 minutes and I would be digging in their garbage. He pretty much let me know that that wouldn't be happening. That is when I got really ticked. I hung up and by then we were in the parking lot. So, I hopped out and grabbed Hayden by the hand, all the while hoping if the manager saw him and realized it was pretty important he would start digging in the trash himself. When I get inside the teeny bopper hostesses don't have a clue what I am talking about, but at least they seem sympathetic. Almost immediately after telling them our dilemma the manager comes around the corner looking flushed and a little sheepish. He comes up to us and asks Hayden what his name is. Hayden answers him and then the dude totally redeems himself by pulling the crumpled baggy out of his pocket and saying "I just want to make sure the name on here matches what your name is." Thank goodness, cause I was fixing to get mad. I was wearing white pants and a white top and was fully prepared to go dumpster diving for that itty bitty tooth. The weird thing is, the manager told me his busboy found it! The same busboy who already left? Anyway, all is well, the baggy has been rinsed and is now under Hayden's pillow awaiting the tooth fairy. And for once I am wearing the right color. Now, where did I put my wings?



Hayden showing off his "gap". He is running a low grade fever and did not want his picture taken. Which explains the look on his face.

7 comments:

Simply Sarah *K* said...

You are just the mother to beat all mothers! Im glad you didnt have to go dumpter diving! Mmmmm.

Krista said...

Yes, so glad that you didn't have to go dumpster diving!! They probably just didn't want to deal with it but must have thought differently when you said you were coming back. How much does a tooth go for these days anyway?

Can't wait to see what kind of car you got!! Oh, and I e-mailed you. I hope I e-mailed it to the right one;)

Ashley said...

We give $2, unless it was a tough one to pull or their first tooth. Then we give $3 to $5 depending. We also give alot of half dollars and those gold dollar coins, the kids love those. Last night I gave Hayden $3, because he is so freaking cute, he had a fever, and because he kept misplacing it. As for the car, we got an 08 Honda Odyssey van. It is black with tan leather. If I am a good girl hopefully I can get a TV installed in it when we get our tax return! We really love it. We got it at 9:00 last night. And, yes I got your email, I will reply soon. Trying to get the yard and pool tied up before people come over to start swimmiming.

Ashley said...

I meant swimming... duh!

Krista said...

Oh...how cool!! That will be nice.

Kelli said...

Good for you, I don't know if I could have been that persistent. I probably would have hung up the phone, started whining and calling the manager names behind his back. But then, maybe when/if I'm in situation like that, seeing what it means to the child will give me bravery.

Anonymous said...

and I thought my tooth experience was a good one! You seem like an old pro and I can certainly learn a lot from you!