Tuesday, May 27, 2008

What a day!

Wow, thank goodness that's over! Today was my court date to have paternity results read and establish child support payments. First we had to wait FOREVER! They finally called me back at 11:00. We had been there over 2 hours at that point. When I get into the little office with the biological father the lawyer hands each of us a few sheets of paper with the paternity results on them. In case you are wondering the results are 99.9% that he is the father or 319,042,570 to 1 that he's not. So, with that little bit of business out of the way, the fun begins...First we go over his income or lack of. Apparently he has been working odd jobs, telemarketing, or at restaurants for the last 16 years. He pretty much doesn't have a pot to pee in. But, I do not feel bad. Jon has raised Chan since he was 3 and my parents helped before that, while he was getting a free ride according to the judge. In Texas they will only go back 4 years unless the judge sees a need to go back even longer than that. So, after that we go in before the judge. It was just like a mini trial, where we we were sworn in, questioned, etc. But, since he was representing himself and was trying to appear "lawyerish" it took over 2 hours. The people waiting for us to finish were annoyed that it took so long. Basically the judgement was in my favor. He has to pay me $296 per month til Chan is 18. In addition to that he has to pay 1/2 of Chan's hospital bill ($6000) and back child support of $14,208. So, it remains to be seen if I will get any money. But, just to see him squirm and be proven wrong made all of this stress and drama worth it. However, a new can of worms may have been opened: all new relatives who may want to meet him and a 13 year old half brother named Grayson. So, that's the latest. Today was great though, as I had a 17 year weight lifted off of my chest.

5 comments:

Borton Family said...

I am glad it went well. I hope you see some of the money. At least for the med bills. I hate med bills. Way to go Team Meyers!

Simply Sarah *K* said...

Oh good! Thank goodness it went well!!

Krista said...

Good for you!!! Yay!!

Ashley said...

I know I am still giddy! The whole day was just so bizarre. I have waited 17 years for this showdown and it was awesome!

Kelli said...

I'm so glad it's finally done! And the fact that he came off looking like such an ass makes it even greater.