Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Olympic Sized Opinion

Warning- the word she is used ALOT in this post, sorry.

As long as I can remember I have loved gymnastics, alot. I dreamed of being an
Olympian. If I ever reach my goal weight (ha ha) I am gonna take a gymnastics class. I was tickled pink when Chloe did so well at it, expecially considering her age. I envisioned her being on the medal stand getting a gold medal. She got to meet Bela Karolyi and do a mini training session with him and even got an autograph. He seemed impressed with her or at least Jon and I would like to think so. She was a teeny little thing, just 5 years old. We were amazed at how fast she picked it up, and I think she was too. She was 4 when we first enrolled her in a class, and she wasn't playing around. She was such a show off, we used to crack up at her. They would do little exhibitions every quarter, and the parents would just ooh and ahh over her. She really was a little firecracker. She only did it for 3 years. She got good quick and they put her on a team at 5. She was training 5 hours a week and it was just too much for her. She wanted to ride her bike, blow bubbles, watch cartoons. Not be at gymnastics all the time. I still secretly hope she will start up again. She's never lost the skills or her strength, she is as strong as ever. Anyway, I bring all of this up because with the Olympics being on, gymnastics is in the spotlight on TV and at our house. I am just saddened and frustrated by the rumors going around about the Chinese women's team possibly using underage girls to compete. The government and the Olympics committee seem to have thrown their hands up and these girls are competing anyway. Of course there is no proof, just lots of speculation. I can only imagine how frustrated the countless other girls they compete against must feel. Or girls who are really good but are just too young whose coaches don't cheat. If I was a parent whose daughter was on a competing team I would be pissed! I just think it's so wrong and absolutely ridiculous that they are getting by with cheating. So many athletes are stripped of their medals and trophies for cheating. I am stunned. Basically, what I am getting at is I hope we STICK IT to those Chinese girls, their coach, and their country!!

*obviously this is my opinion on my blog, I have no proof of cheating, just seems pretty odd to me.*

Read the story about the controversy here.

Just for kicks, here is Chloe back in October.

1 comment:

Kelli said...

Good job, Chloe.

Um, post pics of the kitty!