Monday, June 16, 2008

Jon's new address:

13 Dog House Lane. Also known as: On My List....

Why you ask?

I was under the impression that my husband and children would accompany me to church on a lovely Father's Day afternoon. Well, surprise surprise I went alone. Jon had Nascar to watch and 1.5 acres to mow, as the grass was grazing our knee caps. I was also under the impression that we would all go out for a nice dinner or cook out on the grill here. We were to make this happen after church. After which we would head to my parent's house to see my dad and give him his gift. It was discussed. It wasn't set in stone, we didn't know what we were eating or anything. But, it was supposed to happen that way. I get on the phone after church and call home to see where to meet or did he want to grill out? Chandler answered the phone. And here's our conversation. Give or take a few choice words:

Me: "hey Chan, where's Dad?"
Chan: "at the track racing."
Me: "ha ha, very funny. Seriously get him on the phone."
Chan: "I am serious, he is racing at Cowtown."
Me: "You have got to be freakin' kidding me. Where's Hayden? Where are the other kids?"
Chan: "Hunter is with Dad, and Hayden and Chloe are watching TV."
Me: "You're babysitting? Seriously?"
Chan: "Yep. We were swimming and Dad left."
Me: "Dad left you in charge and when he left y'all were in the pool?" "Chan, you never, ever babysit. Someone could have gotten hurt or drowned or something. What would you have done? You don't know CPR. Seriously y'all were swimming? Am I being Punk'd?"
Chan: "No, he left about 10 minutes after you did and said we HAD to stay in the backyard, the pool, or inside. No front yard"
Me: "Ok, I am pissed, I'll be home in 10 minutes."

I immediately called Jon and ripped him a new one. I also drove about 70 mph all the way home. And, I kid you not, when I pulled onto our street, Chloe and Hayden were walking down the street alone AND barefooted to the neighbor's house to play. Plus, my front door was WIDE open!

So, here are my "issues"...
How did me telling Jon that I saw Shawna, the lady who runs the local BMX track at Target turn into it's ok to skip church with me and race? I told him she was gonna do hot dogs and special racing on Father's Day. He never said a single word about going. I wouldn't have cared. It was his day. I would have made the kids get ready and go with me, so he and Hunter could hang at the track.

I found it odd that he abruptly stopped mowing in the middle of the yard. He came in and helped me into my dress, offering to tie the sash. Just being sweet I thought. I said I was in a hurry and I would call him when church was over.

We have NEVER let Chandler babysit. Some kids have the knack, he doesn't. Not his fault. Boys turn into men. Men don't have the same instinct and paranoia as moms. Not sure why he was initiated today?! Yes, he is 16, but Chan ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to some things. Guitar, algebra, and spelling bees, yes he's a flippin' genius. Babysitting, no.

And, please tell me why it would ever be ok to leave a virgin babysitter, alone with his 6 year old brother, his 10 year old sister, his 12 year old half-brother, and his 16 year old best friend? While they were swimming??? Ever hear of a little thing called drowning? Someone hitting their head during a dive gone wrong? Swallowing water? Choking? Fires? The list goes on and on... And, the kicker: stay in the back yard, the pool, or the house? Say what?
So, I would love some feedback. Am I weird? Am I being a brat? Overeacting? And, Jon if you drove faster, you would have beat me home. I would have NEVER known.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blame it all on the Track Operator....:) I see how you are. Hope things are getting better. You need to get a mister for Jon's dog house though cause it is gonna be 100 degrees today.

Ashley said...

Nope, not your fault sweets. Jon's obsessed with BMX.... I would have gladly let him go. I never knew he wanted to go. I am still scratching my head over it?!

Simply Sarah *K* said...

I dont think we will ever figure men out! Seriously...you think you know whats going on...then they throw you for a loop!

Kelli said...

He just should not have been so shady about it, that's for sure. I don't blame you for being mad.

Krista said...

I seriously don't get men!! I call Travis my third kid!!! They just don't think like adults sometimes!

Shannon said...

Hmmm...I pretty much would have been just a pissed as you! Men seem to not always get that Mom's WORRY! I like to know where my family is at ALL times, and know that they are ALL safe! I hope all was well, and that he realized the error of his ways, LOL! ;)