Monday, February 2, 2009

Yo baby, what's up?

This afternoon I headed to Wal-Mart for groceries. I didn't take a list or a menu plan. I just knew we were thisclose to starving and I needed to get food asap. I got in there and grabbed the stuff I knew we needed like milk, eggs, paper towels, etc. and was drawing a blank on dinner ideas. I had already planned at that point to make sure I had stuff for breakfast, lunch, and snacks for the week and that I would get a weekly menu planned and shop again later. Silly, I know... Anyway, I saw a display of buns and Manwich and voila- we would have sloppy joes. We hadn't had them in at least 5 years, so I figured why not? I grabbed some ground chuck, the buns, and sauce and was headed down the aisle for some dill pickles. I am just about to the pickle section when this short little black guy starts walking towards me with a HUGE grin on his face. He seemed as if he thought he knew me and I could tell by the look on his face that he was gonna talk to me, and boy did he ever.

Little black man- "hey baby, you are gorgeous, what's your name?"

Me- not a peep. I am just flustered, trying to figure out what kind of pickles we want. I slowly start walking away. He is staring straight into my eyes.

Little black man- "hey, what's your name? You sure is pretty."

Me- "gosh, that's really sweet, thanks." I grab my pickles and start walking away. He is next to me.

Little black man- "what is your name? You are fine!"

At this point I am so uncomfortable, my face is burning red and I can't get away fast enough. He asks me my name once more and I say-

Me- "dude, that's sweet of you to say, but I am married with 4 kids."

And then he looked me up and down really slow and said "that's a shame, cause you are gorgeous."

WOW! I was so red and uncomfortable and flustered at that point that I couldn't even think straight. I am wondering if this man was playing with a full deck. He was short and resembled an African American Oompa Loompa. It was just so strange. I mean, was he crazy? I was not looking my best, to say the least... And, he was just so forward. I didn't feel threatened, just puzzled. I am still scratching my head...

P.S. for your viewing pleasure, here is a picture of me and how I looked while shopping today.

11 comments:

Missy said...

There really is nothing hotter than a red-head shopping for pickles.

PS - You look fantastic, you married mom of 4.

Lois Brown said...

Well, you are hot!

Shannon said...

bow chicka bow wow! Creepy, yet flattering all the same.

I miss the days when I used to get hit on...

Leanne said...

I love that story. I'm laughing so hard picturing you trying to walk away from some little man. I would have died. You handled it well.

Simply Sarah *K* said...

Thats hilarious, u sexy thang!

Anonymous said...

I feel ya! Two things:
1. You're blog just keeps getting funnier and funnier! I find myself saying, "I heard it on Ashley's blog" all the time!
2. You've clearly never spent much time in Philly. YOU would be offered a marriage proposal at LEAST 2 twice per week... Already married? Even better. :-)

I love your stories!

Krista said...

You go sexy thang!! Too funny!

Ashley said...

You guys are cracking ME up. I swear I have the weirdest things happen to me! And, I don't think I have felt hot or sexy a day in my life, especially lately.... Thanks though!

Cheree said...

NIIIICE!!!!

I’m with Shannon though. I actually get a little sad when I don’t get any honks while running outside. My neighborhood is just a little too nice I guess – when I run closer to Dallas, I get at least 2 honks! Although it’s annoying, it does help fuel the ego a bit. :-)

Kelli said...

The guys at our local Taco Bell LOOOOOOVE me. It's hilarious: it's a different guy every time, but they always hit on me and make comments about my eyes. I don't know if I should be flattered or not. But, hey, at least someone's hitting on me.

VirtualM said...

In my own personal experience living in Atlanta the past four years, old, weird black guys really like the curvy redheads. The best was when I was pregnant - PREGNANT, I tell you - and just after renting a movie, a creepy guy asked if he could come and watch it with me. Um...obviously taken? Although once it worked out well because I got $2 watermelons at the farmer's market because the guy selling them thought I was cute.
Us redheads, we are hot stuff!