Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Can I Borrow Some Money?

Seriously though, it's getting expensive to have kids in school. And we're not talking college here. This is just elementary, intermediate, and high school. We are at the beginning of the 5th week of school and so far I have bought or donated the following:
1. a school spirit shirt for Hayden
2. treasure box items for Hayden's class
3. books at the book fair (for us and the classrooms)
4. a jar of apple butter
5. new lanyards (for school id's)
6. a yellow polo and a blue polo (color days at Hayden's school)
7. pencils and snacks for Chloe's class
8. a practice writing tablet for Hayden
9. school pictures for Hunter and Chloe
10. admission and snacks at 4 JV football games
The sad thing is this is just the tip of a VERY large iceberg. Since I have had kids in school, not a single week goes by that you don't buy at least one thing per kid.
I anticipate to spend money on the following things this year: School pictures, 4 yearbooks, fall pictures, at least 4 field trips, a homecoming mum, spring pictures, a group photo for Hayden, snacks (donated to class), t-shirts, spring book fair, more school supplies, project supplies, teacher gifts (for birthdays, a new baby, Christmas, and end of year gifts), fundraiser items, the Angel tree at school, disposable cameras, fall carnival, various donations for parties, and etc, etc.
And let's not forget all the birthday parties and special outfits that come up at a moments notice. I don't remember it being like this when we were younger. I know my parents tried to get as much as possible, but there is no way they could keep up with these demands. In reality all they need each day is a sack lunch, clean clothes, and school supplies. I could say no to all the other junk. But I won't. I'll just rearrange the grocery and bill money and make it work.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It started getting bad ,maybe not as bad, but pretty bad when Amy was in school. I wanted to cry and pull my hair out.There was no way I could do all you described. Ididnt even buy the pictures except for the ones at the first of school. That was the year it seemed they had photographers coming every other month.

Kelli said...

I don't remember Mom & Dad ever having to pay for field trips...? Is that new? Why?

Ashley said...

They just don't have the budget. I imagine it has to do with newer buildings, cellphones, computers. All of the modern things a teacher uses as opposed to pencil, paper, glue, and crayons. You would flip if you could see the supply list. Baby wipes, film, paper plates, baggies, flash drive for the computer, etc. Not just the basics. It's crazy and expensive. It costs me about $500 for supplies alone.

Shannon said...

WHAT!!! that is crazy! Can they seriously make you get that stuff? What ever happened to good old fashioned teaching? Is it weird that it worries me that the whole world revolves around technology now! Do they even still teach cursive?!?!