Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The tables have turned...

I have been a stay home mom since November 2001, and in that time frame I have perfected the art of the nap. As much as I would have liked for my kids to be in bed by 8, they were up later than other kids and would sleep in a bit. So, for instance when Hayden was little I could get the other 3 kids off to school and he would never know we were up. That enabled me to crawl back in bed and sleep til 10 or so. Same thing on the weekends, we all slept in. Now that they are older they can make their own breakfast if they happen to get up before me on holidays or weekends. I have especially had a hard time staying awake since all the kids are in school now, they are on the bus by 8:30 or already in class. Jon leaves when Chan does, so it's just me. It's just too tempting to not get in my warm bed and snooze. Really, I have napped quite a bit the last few years. And, while I feel guilty when I think of all the things I could accomplish in those 2 hours- I don't. I kind of consider it me banking and cashing in sleep time. I have had lots of sleepless nights over the years with crying or sick babies, interrupted sleep when the kids have sleepovers, etc. So, I am just taking care of me. Now however, I have an accomplice: Jon. He recently changed his work hours to start at 10 a.m. And, he is back in bed before me, snoring! Which means I can't fall asleep AT ALL! He has napped every weekday morning the last 2 & 1/2 weeks. And, I have to say I am getting annoyed! I love my husband and I love to snuggle with him but this is getting out of hand. That is my nap time, I get the whole king size bed to myself. No snoring or boys allowed! I won't even let the cat up there... So, I need to figure out a solution before I lose any more sleep. I even tried to get him to fetch me a taquito from Whataburger the other morning, thinking I would slip in bed and fall asleep before he got back and he would just eat it himself. No such luck, he was asleep before I could finish my order!

5 comments:

Simply Sarah *K* said...

Jon! Why'd you have to go and ruin it!! Let the girl get some sleep, she deserves it ;)!!

Krista said...

Yes, the men do ruin it. I know my hubby is trying to be nice when he gets in bed with me but I can't sleep at all during the day when he's there;)

Lois Brown said...

My husband can't stay up late at night...he is a morning person....I am not a morning person and love to stay up late to get things done...especially now that I am working again! But I have learned to try and be patient with his chatiness in the morning...but sometimes I just have to say...I'm sleeping! Funny!

Lois Brown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leanne said...

that is so fuuny. I love it!!