Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I need cooking help!

This morning Jon and I were in the mood for French toast. So I made some up. I make mine with lots of vanilla and cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg. I also sprinkle cinnamon on each slice as they are cooking in the pan. Here is my dilemma and I suspect I am not alone: soggy bread. I have only ever cooked it the way my mom did, just in a skillet or on the griddle with butter. I rarely make it, just because it seems like we never have time for a big breakfast and frankly- making French toast for 6 people seems exhausting... Anyway to keep it from getting soggy I have considered: toasting the bread first, making it in the oven, brushing the egg/milk mixture on instead of dipping the bread, and lastly- using less butter. Now, keep in mind that I have never tried any other way. But, I am looking for some tips so I can make it more often. It sure was good, even if it was a little soggy. So, lend me some tips please!

6 comments:

Kelli said...

Oooh, I am needing the same tips. I tried to make French toast for Ewan a few weeks ago. DISASTER. I used to be able to make it, I don't know what happened.

Lois Brown said...

I think if you use the big texas toast it doesn't get as soggy! Alan is the french toast maker in our family....let me know if any of those other work!

Shannon said...

My tip, and this makes the french toast even better, is to use a loaf of cinnamon swirl bread, or cinnamon raisin bread, any of those types of bread, it DOES NOT get soggy, b/c if it did I wouldn't eat it. I can't BEAR the taste of soggy french bread, but for some reason, with those types of breads it never gets gross. My fave is to use this yummy cinnamon swirl bread that comes in a blue bag, possibly pillsbury? I get it at the bread outlet. Good luck!

Missy said...

Ah, see... I knew I asked that B&B hostess a useful question! Old bread. That's the secret. Not so old it's moldy - just firmer. I never realized this was my mom's reason for making french toast - to use the cheap day old bread she bought at the store.

When I don't have any old bread, I either set what I need outside the bag for an hour or put it in the freezer overnight.

Hope that helps!

Simply Sarah *K* said...

My mom makes the french toast in our family...and she uses frozen bread...it turns out wonderful!

Ashley said...

Ok, I am gonna try again tomorrow. I have set out some sourdough bread and I bought some cinnamon swirl bread. I also have some bread in the freezer. We'll see how it turns out...Thanks for all the great tips!