Thursday, October 25, 2007

Nail Salon

I took the time today to catch up on my recorded shows and of course promptly fell asleep on the couch. So, I still have a weeks worth of Oprah to watch. After my nap I was feeling the need to be pampered. So I headed to the nail salon for a pedicure. I know, I know with winter coming fast why get a pedicure? Well for starters my feet looked like chipped cement and secondly I couldn't afford something a little more fun like a new purse. Besides I had already bought myself a beautiful new coat yesterday and I wear flip flops 365 days a year. So, my feet were feeling neglected. But, I am curious about one thing. I know it's been discussed before and there is even a popular video on youtube right now, but what exactly do those nail techs start gabbing about the minute you walk in the door? Man I wish I knew Korean. I went to a different place today, a new one. I walk in and as usual feel VERY self conscious, which I do anytime I go into a hair or nail salon. I don't know why, but I suspect I am not alone. Anyway I go in and tell them I want a pedicure and no kidding all 7 of them start talking a mile a minute. I of course wanted to march right back out the door crusty feet and all. What was so fascinating or horrifying that they all had to talk at once? All before they had even seen my feet. My beauty, my butt, my dark circles, WHAT? That is one of the great mysteries of life: what in the heck are they saying? I seriously want to get a Korean/English dictionary to study so I can know what they are talking about.

5 comments:

Simply Sarah *K* said...

I am SO with you girl! I just KNOW they are saying some horrible stuff...then all of a sudden the gibberish has stopped and the chick is looking up at you with a questioning look on her face. You then realize she has asked you a question....so you say, HUH? And she repeats "You wan a fech ti?" Ummmm....HUH? This is how it is for me....I CANNOT understand a word! And even if you HAD a Korean/Vietnamese/Thai to English dictionary you would have to look up words like Kho and Nicgwoiu and who knows what else!!!

Simply Sarah *K* said...

that was way long....sorry :P

Ashley said...

Yes, that's how it was for me today. He asked if I wanted a certain kind of pedicure and I said no because I couldn't understand him. I ended up getting a regular one thank goodness.

Simply Sarah *K* said...

i just watched that youtube comedian...she is hilarious and can do that voice really well!!

Anonymous said...

That is always so creepy! I've seen them talk dirt on the lady next to me as the the two women were doing our feet! How rude, and obvious! What a different culture, ya know?