Thursday, March 20, 2008

A trip back in time

Ok not literally but the title sounded good to me. Today I took Chandler to get a haircut at a real live barber! A manly place if you ask me. Basketball on a static filled tv screen, with rabbit ears no less. A stack of movies like True Grit, Hoosiers, The Godfather, Tombstone etc. They had shaving powders, talc, straight razors for shaving, and the oldest cash register I have ever seen. No frilly stuff there, no way. Not a nail polish or curling iron to be had. There was even a stack of National Geographics, not sure why? Boobie pics of tribal women...? Anyway, we haven't been to a barbershop since he was about 3 years old. He used to go one Saturday a month with my dad to Red's barbershop in Grand Prairie. I believe Red passed away many years ago and I am not sure if Chan ever got to meet him. Red had cut my dad's and all 5 of my brother's hair for years. I know my dad got a kick out of having his little Chan-man get a haircut with him. For the first 4 years of his life, Chandler and his grandpa were best buds. They would go to the barber, the pawn shops, ghost hunting, Kroger, or the park all the time. I used to call my dad when Hunter was fussy and he would drive the 5 or so blocks to my little duplex and get Chan and they would go for a drive. They called these drives "ghost hunting". My dad would act like he saw a ghost off in the distance when they were out driving. Of course he would take Chan on the longest darkest road he could find in good ole South Grand Prairie. Chan got a real kick out of this. He really thought they were being ghost hunters. He never did bring one home? It's hard to believe his little shadow- the Chanster is 16 and shaving! Not everyone knows this, but Chandler has a different dad than my other kids. His grandpa was his father figure the first 4 years of his life. To this day and forever after, Chan thinks his grandpa hung the moon. I am pretty sure the feeling is mutual. Anyway, I am just being all nostalgic. If any of you guys or girls have boys, a trip to the barbershop is always a fun experience.

3 comments:

Simply Sarah *K* said...

James used to go to a barber in Las Vegas. He loved it...the guy would even massage his scalp afterwords. James said he had all kinds of old-timey things as decoration. It's amazing places like that stay in business, but good thing they do!

Anonymous said...

Wasn't Jon his father figure since Chandler was 2? Does he not think Jon hung the moon.
Chandler has grown up into great young man. He must a great influences around him.

Ashley said...

I am assuming that last comment is you mom. So, for the other people who read this I will explain. Chan loves Jon very much. He was a few months shy of 3 when I met Jon and if you remember he didn't adjust too well to having to share his mother. Chandler is a very laid back but complex person, and he just "gets" Grandpa. That is the reason he has never changed his last name and the reason he doesn't want Jon to adopt him. He just really admires and respects his Grandpa and is proud to be an Anderson. He has been around y'all since birth and he wouldn't have it any other way. Besides, since his biological father isn't around there is nothing wrong with having a stepdad and grandpa to admire and look up to. And as for him growing up to be a great young man, yes he is. But, I would think that no matter what. The influences, I don't know?????