Friday, September 19, 2008

I just watched the best movie

I taped this documentary about a month ago and finally got around to watching it tonight. Let me preface all this by saying, I am behind the times and this documentary came out in '05. But, it was sooo good I couldn't help but blog about it, regardless of how old it is.
Anyway- it's called New York Doll. It's about Arthur Kane, who used to be in the band The New York Dolls. Oh my gosh, awesome movie. In a nutshell this guy was in this band and he was just so into being a rock star and being famous. The band eventually breaks up due to drugs, alcohol, and the deaths of a few of the members.
Arthur takes this really hard and eventually hits rock bottom. It is during this period that he sends for a Book of Mormon. He ends up joining the church and lives a quiet existence as a worker in the Family History Library in San Diego, CA. For 30 years he still has the dream of the Dolls reuniting. His dream is realized when he is approached to do a concert with the remaining living members of the band. The members of his ward help him by getting his guitars out of the pawn shop and his home teacher even accompanies him to London for the concert. He gets all "dolled" up for his show and of course does amazing. It was such a neat movie, and of course I don't want to give away the whole movie, but it was soo good. Bittersweet would be a good word. I couldn't stop crying. Two of my favorite parts were when he gets ready for the concert and he wants his clothes to resemble those that Joseph Smith would have worn and when he plays Love One Another on the harmonica. I highly recommend it regardless of your religion or taste in music, because it really was a beautiful, touching story.

4 comments:

Simply Sarah *K* said...

Sounds interesting!! Gonna have to check it out!

Kelli said...

That was such a good movie. I need to watch it again sometime.

Amazing Grace said...

I'm addicted to documentaries and I can't believe I haven't seen this one.... Was it on the documentary channel or FSTV?

Ashley said...

it was on IFC (independent film channel) Soooo good. It won several awards. I am gonna buy it.