Friday, September 26, 2008

So Sad...

By now I am sure most of you have heard the story about the man who abandoned his 9 children at a Nebraska hospital. For those of you who haven't, you can find the story here. I am just so bothered and shocked by this story. This man must have felt like he had no choice. It really is sad. His wife died shortly after delivering their 10th child. (The oldest is 18 and was not dropped off). He said that he had quit his job to care for his children and was at the point where he couldn't afford rent or utilities. I remember a made for TV movie when I was a kid about a family that included 5 children, whom the parents felt they could no longer care for. So, they told the kids they were going for burgers. The oldest child took the other kids inside this gas station/cafe for a cheeseburger while the parents supposedly got gas, cleaned the windshield, etc. It was while these kids were waiting on their food that the parents drove off. The kids were turned over to police and put in separate foster homes. They were eventually reunited and I believe it was based on a true story. It kinda became a joke around our house as children if we were bad- "do you wanna go for a cheeseburger?" All kidding aside, I can't imagine what those kids are thinking. And, the dad. I can't even fathom things being bad enough to ever abandon my kids. Ever. Jon and I have always, always said no matter what our family has to endure, we will do it as a family. But, it makes you wonder in this guys situation, did he do the right thing? What would their life be like if he continued to try and press forward? The article said that several family members had stepped forward to take the children. Why then, did this man not give his extended family temporary custody while he got his life together? Why?

1 comment:

Simply Sarah *K* said...

This is such a hard thing to fathom! I know, I for one would never give up my children...stick it out, rely on family, give it 100%. But then I think about this man, with NINE KIDS and a newly departed wife...the grief he must be going thru. And if the oldest is only 18, then how young are the rest! Totally inexcusable, but maybe SLIGHTLY understandable. Though, maybe dropping the children off at a family members house would have been a better decision than a hospital with no reasoning why. But grief will make us do horrible things, won't it?