Sunday, October 12, 2008

1 Dozen Pounds

Once again it's time for my weekly diet post.

This week was really tough, especially in the food department. Due to a serious case of PMS, I had the munchies BAD! I managed to stay under 1800 calories each day, but it sure wasn't easy. Exercise was once again minimal. I have been walking with a girl in my neighborhood and between the two of us we managed to have too much going on to put forth the effort. We did walk three days, but once we stopped to watch a deer and twice we went after school with the kids and they were only slightly distracting.
Which is why I am gonna start the Couch to 5K program on Monday. Supposedly if you follow it exactly you can be 5K ready in 3 months. Now, while I won't be entering any races, I am curious to see if I am up to the challenge. I am also looking to start weight training again. This time I will be doing it on my own as opposed to having a trainer. I have had 2 trainers the last few years, one was major 80's complete with Jane Fonda leotard. The other was a giant power lifter who had me lifting lots of heavy weights. Jane only had me do 10 minutes of cardio a day and power lifter told me to eat alot* and he wanted me taking supplements. I only lost 5 pounds with Jane and zero with the power lifter. This time I am gonna research it and develop my own program.
And, while I did eat more than normal I am still making healthier choices. I attempted to cook healthier meals for my family as well. When I first started this "program" I was eating what they were, just skipping the starchy side dishes and pasta. Instead opting for meats and veggies. This week I tried two new meals: turkey burgers with sweet potato fries, great burger, AWFUL fries. And the other was a chicken fajita salad. It was so good, (pats self on back)! I will definitely make it again. I also discovered a new snack, Chex Mix Bars. They are made with whole grains and are only 140 calories a bar. You get the chocolate you're craving minus the calories of a candy bar.
And, now what you've probably already know from the title of this post: I have now lost 12 pounds! Yay me! And, in case you are interested, here's my salad "recipe". I use the term recipe loosely, simply because it was thrown together, but still yummy. And, best of all, it is simple to make.


**Ashley's Amazingly Yummy and Hopefully Healthy Chicken Fajita Salad**

1 package pre-cooked and seasoned chicken fajita meat sauteed with 1/2 an onion (in olive oil)
1 can kidney beans, drained (heat as well)
iceberg and romaine lettuce
shredded cheese (I used sharp cheddar made with 2% milk)
tomato
avocado
light sour cream
salsa
baked Tostitos

After heating up the chicken and onion, I just arranged the lettuce, tomato, and chips on a plate and added a few chicken strips and onions, 1 and 1/2 tbsp. each of kidney beans, shredded cheese, and salsa. Then I tossed on a few avocado chunks, and 1 tsp. of sour cream and voila! Dinner is served. It was super good and very filling.

*p.s. never tell a food addict to eat alot, it will have a negative effect.

3 comments:

Kelli said...

See now, that just makes me hungry for OTB.

Krista said...

Sounds yummy!! Yay for 12!!

Leanne said...

you've been tagged. Go to www.jesseandleanne.blogspot.com to read the rules