Thursday, October 9, 2008

Excuse me ma'am, are you homeless?

Normally when I run errands I try to spruce up a little bit, I mean I don't wear heels or anything. And, I am most definitely not one of those chicks who looks like they are going clubbing when they are just going to Target. Normal shopping attire: nice top, jeans, flats, makeup, wedding ring, studs. If I have been to lunch with the spousal unit or dinner with the girls, then I might stop at Kroger for milk afterwards and look like a total babe. But, today I wasn't in the mood to mess with it, so I do something I rarely do, I went shopping with a naked face. No wedding ring, no jewelry, dark circles, I think I even had bad breath. Note to self: no more Lean Cuisine Rigatoni. Basically, ever since I was mistaken for a lesbian, I try not to leave my house without "my mud on." I guess it's a self esteem thing, maybe a vanity thing. And of course I ALWAYS think it's a weight thing. For some reason people are more accepting of a nice looking fat chick more so than a sloppy one. Not sure why? Anyway, I hate looking like the poor, lonely, chubby girl who dresses bad and has a cart full of chips and ice cream. Today was especially bad, I got stared at alot. I was so embarrassed! I kept thinking I had a booger or something. I clean up pretty well, I think. I don't even think I look that bad without makeup, but for some reason today I turned heads and not in a good way. It made me feel bad. Why do people stare? Am I the only one this happens to? And, do you wonder what goes through people's minds when they're gawking at you? More important: do you stare? I totally do, but I am smooth enough to not get caught.

For your viewing pleasure, I am including a photo of me taken the moment I came in from shopping. FYI, I NEVER post pics of me looking like this so don't get used to it. Be afraid, be very afraid....






P.S. yes, that is Hayden in the background. I think he was doing Jazzercise along with Spongebob or something??

8 comments:

Shannon said...

Awww! I think you are so pretty, and a babe even without the makeup. You know they were just checking out your natural good looks!

P.S. Your title? Funny, very very funny.

Erica said...

Oh please. You look great! I stare, but I'd like to think that it's on the sly, too. You wouldn't have even made a blip on my "stare radar" if I'd seen you out like that...

Krista said...

I wish I looked that good without makeup!! I don't think it's a vanity thing to want to look good. It makes me feel good about myself when I wear makeup and I feel like everyone is looking at the plain ol' me when I don't. In actuality they were probably thinking about what they were going to make for dinner that night and got caught staring into nothing;) I do it all the time. I almost got into a fight when I was a teenager because some girl thought I was staring at her. My friend had to nudge me but I was just thinking my own thoughts and not really looking at anyone!

Kelli said...

You always think you look so awful when "casual," but you NEVER do. You always look totally fab, and I'm not just saying that. (And you've never looked like a lesbian a day in your life...) I don't think people are staring as much as you think they are. They are probably in la-la land.

Anonymous said...

They probably think you are so cote without it that you must really look good with makeup on. When did someone mistake you for a lesbian?

Ashley said...

Back at my last job before Hayden was born. I went to work like almost everyone there: jeans, t's, and tennis shoes. So, I was mistaken for a lesb-o. A contributing factor- I only had one friend my first couple of weeks there who was a lesbian. I didn't know it til later. After that I put giant pics of Jon and the kids on my desk, and started wearing nice clothes and makeup everyday. Ironically that chick I was friends with finally came all the way out of the closet and she used to be Mormon. And, I do appreciate all the compliments. I have always had low self esteem, and the weight makes it worse. Someday I'll be a swan.

Cheree said...

Why are you so mean to yourself Ashley?! You look great. Totally not “stare-worthy” (in a bad way) at all. I agree with Shannon – you must mistake people’s stares for people checking you out.
As for the lesbo reference – maybe that was just someone’s wishful thinking? :-P

Amazing Grace said...

you're naturally beautiful, I wish I could leave the house without makeup!~