Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Memories...

My mom informed me the other day that my grandma's old house is for sale. And, I would buy it in a heartbeat if I had the $$. We had so many amazing memories in that house. My grandma (Bertice) was one of the kindest people I have ever known. She drove the yellow Ford pick-up truck (that Jon drives now) until she passed away at the age of 88 in 1997. She welcomed anyone who came to visit with open arms and a full cookie jar. She was just a really neat person with a heart of gold. I still miss her terribly, although it's been 11 years since her passing. I can still remember they way her house smelled and the sound of her voice. The day she passed away is still fresh in my mind. It was July 18th, 1997 (at 6:42 p.m.) that we got the call... I was due to deliver Chloe any day and I had plans that evening to see a movie with my mom- to keep my mind off of the heat and my growing belly. While we were getting ready to go to the theatre my grandma's neighbor called saying her paper was still in the driveway from that morning and that she wasn't answering her phone or door. Highly unusual, but we were being cautiously optimistic, thinking she was ill or that she simply couldn't hear the phone. I offered to go check on her, but my dad said that he would go and that I could tag along. We got there and her dog Bubba was in the yard covered in pollen. You could tell that he was hot, miserable, and confused. He and my grandma were buddies. We began banging on doors and she never came. So, we broke in through her locked screen door and yelled her name all through the house, checking every room. And, that is when we found her, passed away in her bathroom. Seriously one of the saddest most surreal moments of my life. Although I know I couldn't have saved her, I still wish I had called or stopped by to see her that day. She was anxiously awaiting the birth of Chloe. She was as excited as I was that there was a little girl coming to our family. Seeing her house for sale and recognizing the rooms, although they are changed somewhat is so bizarre. Man, I miss her. And, even though it would be strange and a little bit too small for my family to live there, I would so buy that house if money were no object. Just to keep it in the family.

P.S. And, I am sure only my parents and my sisters will appreciate this, but if you are interested go see the pics of her house here.

6 comments:

Simply Sarah *K* said...

Oh Ashley!! I wish you could buy the house too!!
My grandparents haven't lived in their house for over 7 years because they couldn't take care of themselves anymore....but no one has sold it yet and I hope they never do.
Our childhood and sense of being can be tied in with memories created at a grandparents home....where we KNEW we were loved!

Lois Brown said...

How wonderful to have such special memories of someone you love! I'm sorry you can't buy the house too! When we lived in Utah I use to go visit Alan's grandmohter almost every day on my lunch break. One day I decided I had too much to do and didn't go. Later that after noon I got a call at work and I went to go check on her because nobody could get her to answer the phone and she had had a stroke and was on the bedroom floor. I had the call the ambulence and she passed away in the hospital not too much longer after that. It's hard to find someone that way. I know this will be hard to watch it get sold. But she is still with you and the great memories even if the house is not!

Krista said...

That would be so nice. My Grandma might be losing her house (because of an idiot grandson that refinanced it) and it would be awful if someone else lived there. They live there for so long that it's hard to imagine someone else in it.

Shannon said...

Ugg. I know exactly what you are going through. My Grandma's house that was hers all through my childhood, was the home of so many family dinners, childhood memories (she held a day care there too, with all my friends!), just a precious home to all of our family. But when she got older she just couldn't take care of it all on her own so she had to move. And then the woman that bought it remodeled, like majorly! And tore down the huge cherry tree with the roots that made our fairy ring and put in a gravel yard. I about died. I still get sad when I think about it, but no one can take my memories of that home and all that went on inside away!

Kelli said...

Finally got my computer back! Oh, my gosh, seeing those rooms just gave me a heart ache! Did you notice they put in a door leading from the living room to the den? I want her house! I bet it misses her flowers - they tore them all up.

Borton Family said...

Sorry to hear about your grandmothers house. Kelli always told me many good things about that house. I am sorry to hear that it is up for sell. It is hard when a house that you have so many memories sell.