Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Nervous Nelly

I am sure that I am not the only one who has heard all of the stories on the news about purse snatchings, muggings, robberies etc. I know it happens every year, but this year it seems worse. Not sure if the economy has people more desperate or if it's just a sign of the times. I live near two areas (Burleson and Ft. Worth) where the shopping is pretty good. Just about every store you need is right there. And, I am a frequent night shopper. Jon is home to watch the kids, the stores are less crowded and me being a night owl all make for perfect late night trips. I have never been afraid to go out alone, ever. I am always scolded by my friends and family for going out by myself, but I do it anyway. Well, this year I have been more nervous and cautious than usual. I have taken steps to protect myself, such as only taking my debit card and driver's license, and keeping them in my bra or the back pocket of my jeans. I keep my keys on a little strap around my wrist and my cell phone in my jacket pocket.

Well, today I just had the most genius idea: I carried a "dummy purse". I took an old purse, weighted it down with bottles of bubble bath, and a note for any would be criminal. Just in case someone decided to attack. I thought it was funny and smart. Although I am not sure I could have pulled off the acting skills necessary to act mad or scared. Anyway, tonight I took the kids for haircuts and we were gonna meet Jon for dinner. We made it in safely and were paying at the register when the stylist told us that next door at Chili's 2 women were recently robbed at gunpoint. Lovely... I had more shopping to do after dinner and neither of my big boys wanted to go with me. So I reluctantly went alone, and put my debit card in my pocket, my wallet in the sunroof cover in my van, and carried the dummy purse. I went to several stores and was totally safe. Then, my last stop was gonna be Wal-Mart and Payless. Not so fast. I was only in Payless for 2 minutes when I realized that they had nothing I liked or needed. I quickly ran out to my car and go to start it, nothing. I immediately freak out and start manually locking the doors since there was no power. I finally get Jon to answer the phone (after 10 trys) and he came to rescue me 20 tense minutes later. When he popped my hood we discovered that the idiot who serviced the car last "forgot" to tighten the cable to my battery! It could have come loose and died at any moment, like driving to Austin... But, it chose to die in the middle of the ghetto. So, I made it home safely, the cable is tightened, and I am no longer going shopping at night. The End.


the contents of my "dummy purse"


the note I included, just in case


and, just because... today's the 14th anniversary of mine and Jon's first date. Silly, I know. But chicks keep track of this kinda stuff.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

OH MY GOSH! That is the most hilarious thing ever. I love love LOVE that you had a dummy purse! Gah! That is some good stuff right there.

And you and Jon look SO stinkin cute! Sheesh!

Simply Sarah *K* said...

Awww! Happy date anniversary! James and I started dating in December, too...December 1st!!
Very genius idea with the purse!

Erica said...

You're so funny!!! I got chastized by 2 people for being out by myself last night. I had no idea why they were being so "mean". I mean really...can't a woman just run away from a 2 year old and husband?