Saturday, December 6, 2008

'Tis the Season

Well, I am off to a roaring start. I have been to the mall 2 times, Hobby Lobby 3 times, Wal-Mart 4 times, and Target 7 times and I have bought 1 gift. Umm yeah, I need to work on that... I have been mainly looking at decorations, ornaments, cards, lights, etc. Normally I would have decorated my house and then some by now, but I can't get Scrooge (Jon) to get his butt in gear, he keeps my Christmas stuff in the scary place- the attic. And, I don't do the attic. Ever. So, I have just been accumulating more decor than I need. I am hoping he'll get the hint. Hmmm, we'll see. So, while I am on the subject of Christmas, I thought I would ramble on about a few things I have noticed/encountered the past few days.

First, other than a beautiful snow globe depicting The Nativity, I have never actually owned one. So, I am on a mission to find the most beautiful set I can afford, hopefully no more than $100. I have been checking out all the stores I have been in and nada. Hobby Lobby had some nice ones and they were on sale, but the prettiest ones were gone. I went in Michael's tonight and searched and searched, but again- nothing. So, I asked the girl at the front counter if they had any, and she didn't know what I was talking about!! I am not even kidding. And I said to her, in one giant run on sentence: "Are you for real, seriously, you have got to be kidding me, you don't know what a nativity set is???" I am stunned.

Second- I am a little nervous to go out shopping this year. I have heard countless stories of people being mugged or robbed, some at gunpoint. I know it happens, but this year seems worse than ever! I have never been afraid to go out at night, I do it all the time. But, I am changing that this year. Today I went shopping and left my purse at home. Felt very weird, but I am gonna keep doing it or drag Jon shopping with me. Which, is pretty painful. He just shuffles along, looking bored, hands in his pockets. I can practically see the dollar signs flying out of his ears. I really think he would rather get his chest hairs hot waxed than shop. Men, is it really that bad? I just love it. My heart really does skip a beat when I pull into Target.

Third- Yes, I know all the Santa stories and legends, etc. But, when exactly did Christmas turn into what it is today? Not much more I can say about this, but I think you know what I mean. Even though I am a Christian (yes, it's true) I had never before focused on the true meaning of Christmas, especially since I had been inactive for so long. I mean I did, but not as much as I should have. But, I have learned alot this past year and I am more thankful now than ever for the gift of our Savior. So, Christmas will have a much deeper meaning for me and my family than ever before. We will still do all the same stuff we normally do: Santa, cookies, presents, etc. But, we will be focusing alot more on Christ. And, on a sorta side note: does anyone know if Santa Claus was one of the three wise men? I didn't think so. Because, I kid you not, I saw a decoration that is Mr. Claus looking down at baby Jesus in his manger. Seriously.

And last but not least: I am missing 1 antler from my car reindeer costume. Remember from last year? Enjoy last year's giant reindeer post here. And yes, I am gonna use it again this year. Instantly embarrasses children, one of my favorite past times.

4 comments:

Lois Brown said...

I found a beautiful nativity at the Hallmark store on Bryant Irvin but altogether it was 250.00,(I also found it on line by the artist's website if I find that I will get that to you as well) but you might try stores like that instead of the craft stores...unbelieveable I know...Love the reindeer SUV - Cute. My goal is to be decorated by the end of the weekend. We will see how we do. And in case you didn't get my message on your other blog...I'm in for the movie or dinner...I am you late night movie girl!

Simply Sarah *K* said...

I would think going up to Moon's bookstore would be worth the trip to find a great Nativity set. Even on Deseretbook.com they have some good ones.
And it is amazing to see how much men HATE to shop! James is such a pill unless its a toy store or candy store!

Krista said...

That is crazy that the girl didn't know what a nativity was!!!
Good luck on finding your nativity!!

Amanda said...

Let me know if you find a gret nativity. I have some but would like another.