Saturday, December 20, 2008

On Cleaning...

Well, the sun came out. And, I cleaned. Nothing like fresh air and sunshine to get you "in the mood." I started cleaning rather late (4:00) but today was the beginning of Christmas break, so we had pizza for lunch, watched movies, and read books. You would think that we would have gone outside... not sure why we didn't?
I have spent the first 2 weeks of December looking for clothes for pictures, baking, and shopping for teacher's gifts. It wasn't until this week that I started doing my important Santa Claus shopping. I have neglected my housework, badly. And, with rain and freezing temperatures the dogs have been in alot. So the house was in it's usual disarray and then some. Namely dog hair and mud. Yum. So, I got on the Mother of All Cleaning jags. I won't list all the cleaning I did, instead I will list all of the interesting tidbits that occurred while cleaning. And, the only reason I got so much cleaning done is A) I think I am crazy and B) my husband isn't home yet. Otherwise I would have been shopping and then watching TV afterwards. Anyway, here's what you are waiting for:

The Tidbits

I found three DVD's I forgot we even owned under Jon's dresser. One was The Polar Express, which I have been wanting to rent or buy. I saved myself some $$.

After having a mini-nervous breakdown the other morning over our *#@^! sock basket I finally did something about it. I got rid of a black trash bag full of socks. I folded the rest and now for the first time in many years my kids and husband have folded socks and we now have about 1/4 of the amount we used to. Felt very liberating. My kids will probably be in slippers or barefoot the next 3 weeks, but we have folded socks.

I rearranged my living/dining area. I even moved the Christmas tree. It fell over. I caught it. Nothing broke. Yay me! I couldn't stand the previous set up for another day. It looks SO MUCH BETTER now. Seriously. I am liking my house again today.

I found three of the largest dust bunnies I have ever seen. They scared me so bad I almost had to change my undies. Really, I think they were breathing. I am stunned that I never saw them. Probably because they were busy hanging out under Jon's dresser watching The Polar Express. It's Jon's fault they were there. It's his dresser.

And last but certainly not least, (and this one's a whopper) I managed to knock out power to the whole house. Let me explain. So, it's Christmas and I have alot of stuff plugged in. And, whenever I plug in the iron, hair dryer, or vacuum cleaner while all the holiday crap is plugged in, I trip a breaker. Well, I was vacuuming our game/media room which used to be our garage and I lost power. I knew Jon had crammed the closet which contains our breaker box full of junk. It also holds shelves of linens, a few hidden gifts, and a hot water heater. Remember, it used to be our garage. The closet was built strictly for some storage and to hide the hot water heater. Well, when you are "well endowed" and you are trying to reach an object (the breaker box) in a too tight space, "things" sometimes stand in your way. So, I grabbed a spatula and started whacking the the little black switches that were causing our power outage. Which didn't work. So, we had a little black-out. After calling my friend's husband to come rescue me, I knew I needed to tidy the closet quick and make room for him to fix the problem. And then, I managed to fix it myself. Which I could have done all along if I hadn't been in such a hurry to clean. If I would have taken the time to get the stuff out and just real simply flipped the switches, I could have saved myself 45 minutes of darkness and drama. No, instead I had to play Wack-a-Mole with a breaker box and a rubber spatula.

So there. I am done for the night. It's 1:30 and Jon should be home soon. I am going to take a much needed bubble bath.

4 comments:

Shannon said...

Ha! I love when you post like this, gets my day started off with a good laugh. Good for you on getting rid of the socks, and thanks for all the visuals of a cleaning machine ashley running around the house and whacking things with spatulas!

Lois Brown said...

Yay! for bubble baths! Wow, you did a lot and got a lot done...brillient about just throwing the socks away...I think I will go do that right now! Where do they all go? I have never been able to figure that out! Show us a picture of where your tree is now? I would love to see where you moved it to! Love ya!

Simply Sarah *K* said...

HIlarious, really. Can I hire you to do my house next? LOL.
I haven't cleaned in SOOOOO long, I don't want to even think about it. I'll probably give the house a good once over for Santa, though!
It's amazing how much time shopping for picture clothes can consume!! It took up most of my November and I just haven't caught up yet!

Kelli said...

I can't flippin' keep up with cleaning of any kind. I have to decide, focus on one area and get it spotless (but good luck finding the time) or just picking up here and there around the house so things don't look disastrous. but not exactly clean either.