Monday, February 11, 2008

The early bird gets the donuts

You know you need to grocery shop when you have to send your son to school with a PB&J sandwich minus the J. And when things in your frig wink at you and beg to be thrown out. To say we need groceries would be putting it lightly. Chan started power lifting this morning and practice is at 6. I VOLUNTEERED to drive him! (The poor kid actually had to eat a packet of regular flavor instant oatmeal, oh the horror!) It's Monday and of course my diet starts today like every Monday. I planned on taking him, thinking I'll stop at Wal-Mart on the way home and get some decent food for breakfast and lunches. Ha, Right! No, I did the only thing a sensible mom in the year 2008 with a debit card would do, I stopped at the donut store! The one with the drive-thru! For a split second I considered going in, but seeing that I was braless and had pants on under my gown, I decided against it. I really didn't want to be talked about in a foreign language either: "You see her, no bra!" "She have too many donuts already", etc. etc. I drive around the building to where the drive-thru window is and to my surprise there's a line! And, you have to tell the lady your order, no speaker. I quick check my breath and determine that I need gum, stat! I dig through my purse and the only problem: there is none. Surprise surprise, my kids chewed it all. So I shove a cough drop in and wait my turn to order. A dozen donuts and 4 milks later I am finally home with the warm white box full of sugary goodness my children will be oh so happy to see. I am about to go wake the family and head to the kitchen to prepare breakfast... and more lunches. Hot dogs and cereal bars anyone?
P.S. I offer a heartfelt apology to any teacher who has any of my children in class today. I know they are going to be on a sugar high before they abruptly crash. I promise tomorrow will be different. I will have gone to the grocery store and they will have had a decent breakfast. Like eggs or something.

9 comments:

Shannon said...

LOL, there is a Dhipley's on the way to Natalie's preschool, with a drive through, needless to say, I have refueled there a few times too many!

Simply Sarah *K* said...

mmmmm...Donuts! I LOVE Krispy Kreme's, they are the only one's I can eat! In Vegas there was one around the corner from my mom's house...mmm....I get a sugar high just thinking about it!

Ashley said...

Shipleys is good. Krispy Kreme I can only eat 1/2 at a time, too rich! Me, I like kolaches and sausage rolls!

Anonymous said...

I hope the grocery shopping is done by the time I get home so I can have a fresh, hot off the grill, steak with mashed potatoes and a salad with balsomic vinegarette. Hope no hint is implied here. Ha

Ashley said...

you don't like steak Big Jon! You can't make chicken fried steak on a grill, especially if the propane tank is empty! And, no I am shopping this evening after you get home. nice spelling of balsamic vinaigrette... is that spelled right?

Shannon said...

I LOVE kolaches! I first saw them on food network when we lived in SC, and then when I found out we were moving to TX, I was so excited, I swear to you the first thing we did in TX was have kolaches for breakfast!

Krista said...

Oh man!! Now I want a donut!! I love Winchells. They are the best. Unfortunately or thankfully, they are a good 20 minutes drive to get them. But dang it, if I'm anywhere near one, I have to get a dozen. And their dozen is 14 donuts!;) Krispy Kremes is a good and they are around the corner!

Ashley said...

I haven't had Winchells in forever! Kolaches are the best! With a Dr Pepper or Coke!

Kelli said...

mmmm...pigs in blankets...