Monday, November 17, 2008

Special Field Trip

Today my mom and I headed to Dallas on a mission. We went to Moon's bookstore, so I could get new scriptures. I have owned 2 quads in my life, and just felt the need to get new ones. Part of my "back to church makeover" I guess you could say. The first set I bought for myself back in 1994 with my Deseret credit card. Who knew such a thing existed? I maxed that card out that very same day. I bought me, Kelli and Amy all mini quads in 3 different colors. I had mine until 2001. Which is when I befriended a girl who had been in an abusive marriage and had been inactive for many years. She was trying to straighten her life out and we ended up meeting in a class we took at church together. So, for some reason I felt compelled to give her my scriptures! My maiden name was engraved on them and I didn't think to keep them, not sure what was going on in my head... especially after I bumped into her months later and she told me how she had them re-engraved with her name. I never even thought that was possible. I would almost give anything to have those back. I don't even remember her last name. It might look kinda silly if I tried asking for them back anyway. Hopefully they have helped her throughout the last several years. My mom was kind enough to get me some for my birthday about 5 years ago, even though I never read them much until this year. They have helped me through this past year, and are in perfectly good condition, but I still really wanted another mini set. I just think they are beautiful. So, today I got a burgundy one. My old mini quad was green, which I would have chosen again, but they were sold out. And, I wasn't leaving the bookstore without new scriptures. I am seriously loving them. They are so nice! And, can I just say how awesome the bookstore is? I wish it was closer. I would be there at least once a week. We finished the day at Goff's burgers, which was really good. And, not on my diet. So, I had lettuce and Diet Coke for dinner. Seriously.


aren't they pretty?

6 comments:

Simply Sarah *K* said...

Beautiful!! They are great.
Thanks for sharing all that...good stuff.
And I know what you mean about that store. I am looking forward to a trip in the near future to maybe pickup some Christmas gifts! I can't wait!!

Ashley said...

I'll so go with you! I loooove it there. I hope to go back to the Temple soon as well.

Kelli said...

They are pretty. I would like a new quad sometime, or at least my current set engraved with my married name.

Shannon said...

I love new scriptures! There is just something about them! I am hoping to get a new pair soon too, like Kelli, I want a pair with my married name. I like the blue and silver, and i am trying to convince Keith to let me get the Grand daddy sized ones, lol! I love those hugungous scriptures!

Ashley said...

I almost got the grand-daddy sized ones. But, the pair I had before these (blue and silver) were the cheaper leather like ones that are kinda big and they were falling apart at the binding. I had them in a canvas tote and it was making them flop around alot. So, this time I got the little ones and they are the real leather with the snap. I just love them so much, I was at Institute last night and I was just staring at them and smoothing the pages. I eventually eill need the large print, but for sure not until I am forty or blind whichever comes first...

Amanda said...

I have matching ones. Mini-ones are perfect for trips and such.