Saturday, January 19, 2008

Stages

Do you ever feel totally alone, even though you are surrounded by people? My life feels pretty alone. Like no one truly understands me, or like I am waiting to be picked for kickball. I went from being a depressed teenager to being a mom, and I feel as if I have made so many wrong choices all these years. I have been looking for happiness in all the wrong places: Cars, home decor, clothes, makeup, magazines. Lately though, a lightbulb has become increasingly bright in my mind. Some of you may or may not know that I am LDS or Mormon. But, I have been inactive for 5 years. And while I won't start preaching, I have come to realize that the time has come for me to return. To surround myself with goodness. There has been something missing for way too long. I am however, fighting an uphill battle so to speak. My hubby isn't a Mormon, and my kids have been away too long. This week, I have encountered a ton of resistance. And, even though I know my decisions are right, I still feel kinda alone.
Then there's the matter of being out of it. So many women I know that are Mormon are young and just starting their families. For the longest time I felt as if I needed to have a baby just to fit it. I am older than alot of them too, which is super hard. Then there's the issue of how different things are for Moms now. Yes, there are always diapers, feedings, and tantrums. But, now it's playgroup, scrapbooking, digital cameras, blogs, cell phones, etc. It is just so different than even 6 years ago. So, even though I feel like I have made the right decision, I still feel like I don't fit in. Old, overweight, no little babies running around, non-member spouse, kids who can't remember who Nephi is, etc etc. So, tomorrow is surely gonna be a challenge, as are the days and years to come. Wish me luck or better yet, pray for us! And Shannon, Sarah, and Krista- thanks for befriending me through Kelli, it means more than you will ever know.

8 comments:

Shannon said...

You are not alone, but you are right! Going back to church will surely bring some light and purpose into your life. And that is the fun of a ward, we are all in different ages/stages of life. I wish you the best of luck and am proud of you for even trying! My sister wants so desperatley to go back to church, she knows it is true, but she is worried and scared. I am sure there will be some wonderful ladies there to welcome you with open arms!

Krista said...

First of all, I'm so glad that you are making that decision. Even though we all know it's hard and always a struggle, we all know it's right and worth it. And even though I am just starting my family, I'm around the same age as you (almost 32). I personally feel like I have a lot in common with you even though our kids are at totally different ages. I think that is why I love reading your blog. So just go in with an open mind and let your personality shine through and you will be fine. Of course it will be hard the first few times but don't give up. Once you have gone for a little while and gotten to know people, you will feel weird when you aren't at church. As for your kids, maybe there will be some cuties that will help lure them back. I know that isn't why you should go to church but I remember how I was when I was a teenager;) I don't know if any of this was any help but I just want you to know that I have been in your position (going back to church after being gone for awhile) and even though its hard, I'm so glad that I did. You can totally feel the spirit strong and I personally feel that you appreciate it more when you are without it for a bit. Well, at least I know I did. I knew both sides of it, you know? Anyway, e-mail me if you want to talk more. And thank you for becoming a friend as well. I'm glad that I finally got the guts to write on one of you guy's blog. Sorry so long;)

Ashley said...

I too am worried and scared. It seems 50/50 at church. Some people are super friendly while some seem leery of new people. Probably just shyness. Shannon, which sister?
Krista, even though we just "met" this week, I feel the same about you. The 2 youngest are ok with going, it's Hunter and Chan. I mean, it's been so long that Hunter and Chloe still haven't been baptized! They started the lessons on Wednesday evening. I am hoping that dances will lure Chandler a little and that both boys will get a kick out of passing sacrament. Talk about feeling the spirit, the other day I had a Bishop's appt, and the minute I saw the beautiful art work in the foyer, I immediately started bawling. Just talking to him made me feel so much better!

Amazing Grace said...

Mmmmmm... Sounds a little familiar...
I know how akward it feels.. I go to church by myself, it used to bother me too. I then realized it was the best thing I could do for my daughter. I wish we lived closer.
I miss my friend.

Ashley said...

Yeah, me too. At first I was gonna go to Kelli's or my mom's ward, but I really need to be in my own ward. I miss you too Grace! After I have been going awhile, maybe I can go with you or vice versa?

Shannon said...

My older sister, Sarah, she went inactive after H.S. had a baby, got married, got divorced, is now happily remarried, but afraid to start back to church. One day, she will get the courage and hopefully she will have a good ward with wonderful people there to be nice and welcoming!

Simply Sarah *K* said...

Good Luck, Ashley....just know that you have alot of prayer on your side. The Lord knows you and will help you thru your hard times....the advesary won't want to come back, so the way will be full of obstacles. Just take each one at a time. With a change of heart comes great things, if you keep that in your mind, the Lord will bless you.
You are a great person and you deserve great things...thank you for sharing all this with us!
And always remember....the PEOPLE in the church can come and go, they can be supportive or they can be ignorant...but the GOSPEL will always be true and constant.
You are never alone :).

Amazing Grace said...

find out what time your ward starts and I'll go with you..... I promise..