Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Can you say sugar high?

Today was Hayden's class party. What used to be a Christmas party when I was a kid is now called a holiday party. No Santa. No Jingle Bells. Snowflakes and Snowmen only. Some red and green. While I understand that school is much more diverse now and that there are children from all different cultures, I miss the traditional Christmas party. Once when I was in school, Santa paid a visit. We even used to have a sing-out. Where each grade level sang Christmas songs in the cafeteria, and tried their best to sing louder and out-do the other grade levels. Those days are long gone. The PTA and parents do try and make it as festive as possible. Thankfully Hayden and most other kids could care less. They care about two things: school's out for three whole weeks, and most importantly CANDY! I kid you not, I walked into his class at 8:05 and the kids were eating potato chips, donuts, and cookies! There was a big bowl of cut up fruit, but I only saw one kid eating any. They even decorated another cookie! I could have slept in and hooked Hayden up to an IV drip of soda, candy bars, and french fries and achieved the same result. They had fun though, the more sugar the better. I made him scrambled eggs for breakfast to try and offset the effects of all the junk I knew he would be offered. We are now home and it'a a little after 10 in the morning. Which reminds me, why have school anyway? He was there for 2.5 hours. While he had a blast and did make a couple of cute snowflake ornaments, we totally could have skipped today. Ok, not really. I am gonna pop in a movie and see if I can persuade him to nap with his mommy. Fat chance!
P.S. I have no pictures, since I was recruited to run one of the craft tables. Sorry! He was the cutest kid in the class, and he did have on a Christmas T-shirt just in case you were wondering!

4 comments:

Kelli said...

I REMEMBER THE SING-OUT!!! Ahhh, those were the days. Don't even get me started on today's "HOLIDAY" parties. Grrrr...

Simply Sarah *K* said...

I remember having Christmas parties and the Jewish kids and Pentecostals or Jehovah's Witnesses just got to stay home that day!! Totally not cool...

Kelli said...

I remember one Jehovah's Witness in my class that came to school that day, but they took out of the class for the party. And whenever we did Christmas, or any holiday themed art project, he would do it, too, only it would be, say, a frog instead of Santa or Easter Bunny.

James said...

I'm sure that he had a good time - no pics?!!! what?!