Friday, December 21, 2007

Livid!

I have been running around like crazy trying to get my Christmas shopping started and finished in like 3 days. Last night I did the majority of it and have maybe one more trip to Target and I am finished. Well, I was out until after 1 in the morning yesterday and everyone was asleep when I came home. Except Hunter. So, while I ran things into my closet (to store in Jon's shop later) I had Hunter take the trash cans to the curb. I ran so fast and carried so many bags, I didn't think he knew where it all went. Fast forward to today, and I am feeling awful. I am getting the beginnings of an upper respiratory infection or strep. So, I decided that after going to bed at 3, coughing all night, and being exhausted from shopping that I would take a nap. I had gotten up at 8 to feed Hayden and we had worked in a couple of puzzle books, so I was ready for a snooze. Now, while I will nap when the kids are in school, I rarely if ever sleep when they are home. Unless Jon is here. But, they are aged 6 to 15, so I figured being 10 feet away from the living room and a light sleeper things would be ok. Boy was I wrong! Hunter and Chloe sneaked past me sleeping and went straight to my closet!! Thankfully I woke up before Hayden snuck in there as well. They proceeded to peek into every bag, and now know the majority of the presents that they are getting! They no longer believe in Santa (they discovered the "secret" last year), but Hayden does. I was so shaky from sleep that I flew up out of bed and went ballistic! I am sure the neighbors heard me yelling. I was so mad and VERY disappointed! I was so afraid Hayden had seen his Santa gifts. But after the third degree and getting Jon and me on the phone with both of them, we straightened things out. Hayden luckily did not see his gifts. I immediately banished them to their rooms, only to be allowed out to eat and use the restroom. I made them write a letter apologizing for their behavior. I also have them on chore duty. They have made beds, swept, passed out Christmas goodies to the neighbors, loaded trashcans, cleaned their rooms, and vacuumed. I am fixing to send them into the boys bathroom to clean. Which I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I am seriously considering purchasing little black bags full of charcoal briquets to place under the tree for them. However, I am not that mean. I just wish they could be more patient. And not worry so much about presents. So, needless to say, my blood pressure has risen to the roof today.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ash,
If they are still in trouble when you come down for new years, Amy and I will save some cleaning duty for them. Might be time to put a pad lock on your closet?

James said...

They kind of ruined it for themselves really - when Christmas day comes and they already know all the presents they are getting, it wont be as exciting. Looks like they will learn that this year.

Anonymous said...

I think you had it coming a little because of the times you unwrapped yours and re wrapped them. Mom

Anonymous said...

HaHaHa. You got caught too! Ash, you only thought you got away with it.

Anonymous said...

I think what james said is right, ash. I remember the first time i only got things i asked for. (believe me i know that sounds lame; just hang on...) But it just wasn't so fun. Nothing was a surprise. So i learned my lesson and just dont ask for anything (jury's still out on how well that turns out), but they'll live and grow up just a little... just in case they don't learn from cleaning the yucky bathroom! :)

Ashley said...

I definitely think they learned their lesson. I don't think they have ever seen me so mad. And, they have cleaned their little hearts out in addition to writing me a sweet, apologetic note. There were still some things they didn't see, and things I just bought today. So not all hope is lost. I would have been MAJORLY upset if Hayden had found out about Santa. And Big J, I mean Jon: I was following my big brother's lead and I never got caught. Plus I told on myself for unwrapping and re-wrapping. And anonymous, I mean mom: that is mean to say I had it coming.

Kelli said...

There's no Santa?